Monday, July 30, 2007

Masala Morkuzhambu (Yogurt based gravy)

My toddler arranged this as a choo choo train :)






I proudly used my home grown vegetables :). Since they summed up to a bounty, I was excited to make this dish. Please ensure to wash all vegetables before use.

Ingredients:
Vegetables (any) – 4 cups OR
Cucumbers - 2 cubed
Green bell pepper – 2 deseeded and cubed
Okra – few(I used about 8) cut into ½ inch pieces
Tomato – 1 cubed
Carrots – ½ cup
Japanese eggplant – 4 cubed
Turmeric – ½ teaspoon

For Grinding:
Coconut – Grated about 1 tablespoon
Toor daal - soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
Coriander leaves – about 6 sprigs
Dry Coriander – 1 tablespoon
Dry red and green chillies – 3 + 3
Garlic – 3 pods

To be added later:
Yogurt – 1 cup ( I used Fat free dahi)
Salt per taste

For tempering:
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds – ¼ teaspoon
Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon

For Garnishing:
Curry leaves – few

Method:
In a thick bottom vessel add all vegetables except tomato with 3 cups of water and turmeric. Cook the vegetables for about 15 minutes on medium heat (depends on vegetables used). With some water, make a paste of the ingredients listed for grinding.
When the vegetables are almost done, add the ground mixture, tomatoes and salt. Cook this on low flame for about 5 minutes and turn off heat. Temper the kuzhambu and add yogurt and mix it well. Serve with hot rice or rotis.

11 comments:

bee said...

beautiful veggies and reipe.

Anonymous said...

Hi! A beautiful harvest and a very earthy recipe:)

Suganya said...

You can submit this to GBP, since its all home-grown.

Srivalli said...

wonderful looking veggies...and lovely recipe...

Srivalli
www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

Bubbalili said...

Thanks Bee, Ganapathy, Suganya and Srivalli.

Viji said...

Thanks for visiting BB. Lovely veggies that too from our garden. Very nice morkuzumbu. Viji

Latha Narasimhan said...

Hi, First time hearing your name in blogosphere.I like your eggless cake recipe dear.
Thanks for visiting my blog. you are most welcome to participate in the event. When I saw the excitement in your comment, I was remainded of my youth!

Bubbalili said...

Thanks Viji and Latha

Kajal said...

Masala Morkuzhambu with curd is very taste I never taste but after read your method it is definitely turns out best taste....Great work......Keep it up.:)))

Bubbalili said...

Thanks Kajal.
Suganya - To submit to GBP, I searched thru' my archive pics...was able to find only the tomato plant...hope that works :(

timepass said...

Nice pics and some unique recipes too..I am seeing cherry gojju and strawberry achar for the first time.. must have been tasty for sure...